Sunday, February 24, 2013

Someone Should Pay Me: Haircuts at Home!


One thing I take pride in is being able to cut my children's, husband's, and my own hair. While I only cut my own hair maybe once a year (a difficult and back-breaking task), I seem to be giving haircuts to the boys every couple months. I started out several years ago with my husband. Those haircuts took forever! I would clip all over the place and, in the end, it would still look too long. I was scared to cut too close. I eventually purchased an electric razor and that changed everything. I can now dish out a great cut in 20 minutes.

When my first son was born, I knew I was going to be the one to give him his first hair cut. At 12 months, I carefully began clipping. It turned out pretty good. Later, when my second son was 14 months, I gave him his first haircut. It is not easy trying to chop little wispy locks off of a squirming baby!


Bangs Galore
Mullet Baby

             
 They are now 5 and 3, and I feel completely confident in my skills and also proud that I am the only stylist they've ever been to. I think it is finally getting to the point where nobody fears the scissors anymore and they can sit still a bit longer. During this most recent cut, I involved the boys more by having them clip on all the different razor attachments and turn the razor on for me. That seemed to occupy them. And it never hurts to tell them that they can have an ice cream sandwich if they let me do what I need to do.



One of the strangest things I've noticed is how different their heads are! One boy has a smaller, round head and the other's head is more square and bumpy. Their hairlines are totally different too. I know I am probably not perfect at cutting yet, but I get better every time. Now can I get an ice cream sandwich, please?!

Who cuts your children's hair? Would you ever let your spouse cut your hair? (Nope!)

No comments:

Post a Comment