Thursday, November 1, 2012

Quick Tip: What to Do With All That Halloween Candy



Halloween has, once again, come and gone. In the past few years, my children would come home with some candy and I would give them a piece here and there. My husband and I would have a couple pieces, but to be honest, I would feel very guilty eating their candy. I would actually ask them if I could have a piece before I took it. Plus, I don't know about your kids, but mine ARE NOT GOOD WITH SUGAR. Especially my older son. I repeat. NOT. GOOD. Eventually, Valentine's Day candy would come home and I would have over half the Halloween candy still left. This year, I changed it up. Here's what I did.

Step 1:  Organization
Sort out the candy into categories (chocolate, fruity, mints, lollipops, etc.) so the kids get an idea of how much they have of each type.

Step 2:  Selection
Have the children pick out 5 pieces at a time. This way you can check over the candy that they pick if you want to, and they won't get overwhelmed sorting through it all. Have a preset number. For example, I allowed them to choose 28 pieces each (2 a day for two weeks).

Step 3:  Sharing
The rest of the candy can either be thrown away, eaten by mom and dad, etc. I scooped our leftovers in to a big bowl and told the kids that it was for mom and dad (for helping with trick-or-treating, of course), and our guests. They were completely fine with that. Now I won't feel guilty chomping away.

While this method won't work for everyone, like with older kids perhaps, it was a win-win for us.



What do you do with your Halloween candy?

1 comment:

  1. So Chris was able to keep them from eating too much because he limited how long they were out. I was so annoyed at the time. But they have all but eaten their candy already, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete